Pages

11.23.2008

Monday With Martha

You all know how I love Martha...Martha Stewart that is. Well, my friend and co-worker, Mary, and I ran across this awesome "no-sew" craft on the Martha Stewart website. It is a No-Sew Tote! Yeah, NO-SEW!!! All you need is one yard of your favorite fabric (Tip: Make sure the fabric is a repeating fabric that looks the same from all sides.), 1 yard of nylon webbing for straps, iron-on vinyl for lining, duct tape in complementary color, pencil for marking, scissors, staples, and iron. Here is the link with all the instructions: No-Sew Tote Bag



These are the instructions from the Martha Stewart website:

No-Sew Tote Bags How-To

1. Cut a 20-by-36-inch piece of home-decorating or upholstery-weight fabric. Line the back of the fabric with iron-on vinyl to protect and reinforce.

2. Fold fabric in half, right sides together, to create a rectangle 20 inches wide by 18 inches tall, with the fold at the bottom.

3. Fold down and crease the top raw edge to create a 2-inch hem on the top, front, and back.

4. Mark where you would like the straps to go and staple the straps onto one side of the bag. Only staple through the strap and the folded over fabric, so that the staples do not show on what will be the front of the bag. Repeat on other side.

5. Use two strips of duct tape to cover the staples and "hem" the top of the bag. Trim the extra duct tape with scissors.

6. Fold the bag so right sides are together. Mark a seam line 1/2 inch from each edge. Staple up the sides of bag along the seam line. Cover seam with a long piece of duct tape, folded lengthwise over the raw edge. Trim the extra duct tape.

7. Create a gusset by flattening the inside-out bag with the seams together. Mark a line perpendicular to the seam, about 3 1/2 inches from the "point" at the bottom of each seam. Staple along this line. Cover the staples with duct tape and trim excess.

8. Turn bag right-side out.



*The size of your bag will vary depending on the size of the fabric you buy...My friend Mary made the cutest over-night tote or weekend tote...by accident :) She bought some of the 56" fabric...too cute! So, you can cut the fabric and get two or sometimes 3 bags out of one yard of fabric!!



I have already made one, and I have pics and everything, but forgot my camera this morning (which totally stinks because my pics for my Twilight Movie blog are on there too...ARGH!!!) So, I'll have to post pics at a later date.


I've bought some more cute fabric and can't wait to make another one!!! Enjoy

1 comments...I love comments:

Renee said...

Okay, I looked at these bags and they are SO cute! I can't wait to see the ones you've made! And forgetting your camera?! Do you think it has anything to do with being on the road past midnight? lol!