Pages

12.06.2010

McLinky Monday - Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes

The RHOK

Mrs. Sinclair over at The RHOK wants us to share our favorite Holiday Cookies and the recipes, of course!

I've been in the baking mood, but I've yet to bake.  I've bought ingredients, but I haven't put them to use yet.  I've also bought some adorable boxes to put my goodies in, but they're still empty.  I plan on doing that this week...or maybe over the weekend.  I have to allot a whole day to nothing but baking.  I usually make some chocolate dipped pretzels, and a really yummy candy bar fudge along with some of my favorite cookies recipes.

You know, something like this...

Ala Cher from Clueless.  Plop a whole roll of cookie dough on a baking sheet and toss it in the oven. 

I kid.

My FAV holiday cookies are simple.  I usually gravitate toward the shortbread and butter cookies.  I just love them and they go GREAT with a cup of coffee.

Here are my best cookie recipes:
Pecan Shortbread Recipe:
(Source:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/ )

Ingredients


  • 3/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups small diced pecans
Directions

Cook's Note: This recipe can easily be doubled, as what was shown in the episode.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  • In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla and almond extracts. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter/sugar mixture. Add the pecans and mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
  • Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut into 2 1/2-inch squares with a plain or fluted cutter (or cut into any shape you like). Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
  • Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature and serve.
Almond Butter Cookies
(Source:  http://www.gooseberrypatch.com/ )

Do you buy Gooseberry Patch cookbooks?  If you don't, you should.  They are FANTASTIC!!  I'll be having a giveaway for one later this week, so stay tuned!

OK, back to the recipe...
Ingredients
  • 1 c. butter
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1 t. almond extract
  • 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
Directions
  • Place butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat about 10 seconds, until very soft but not melted. Stir together butter, sugar and extract. Add dry ingredients; mix well. If dough seems too dry, add another tablespoon or so of butter. Form into one-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/4-inch thickness with the bottom of a glass jar. Bake at 400 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool. Drizzle Chocolate Glaze over cookies; let stand until glaze sets. Makes 5-1/2 to 6 dozen.
Chocolate Glaze:
  • 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 t. shortening
In a small saucepan, stir ingredients over very low heat until melted and smooth.

What are your favorite holiday cookies?

For more great recipes, hop on over to The RHOK!

~jennykate♥

18 comments...I love comments:

Macey said...

drooooools. I love cookies. Any cookie.

Kelli said...

It's funny because my husband bought Pillsbury sugar break and bakes for the kids and they are SO good!!! My favorite are jam thumbprints...I made them twice last week :)

The Southern Family said...

Mmmm. All sound good, but I love pecan shortbread! I'll have to try those! :)

Brandy@YDK said...

It's impressive that you actually know a cookie recipe. i don't.

and pecans taste like dirt. :)

Dawn said...

Oh, I almost posted a recipe for molasses butterballs.

I love the same type of cookies as you. But, my favorite is to just eat the cookie dough. ha!

Unknown said...

Oh my. I wish I didn't love cookies. Sadly, I do! : ) These sound delectable. I love gooseberry patch for sure!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Mmmmmmm, I love cookies. They're a favorite of mine ;) Funny enough we haven't done a lot of baking yet either. I just haven't gotten up the energy for it. Jeremy loves it when I make the little jam thumbprints. I like oatmeal cookies . . . and white chocolate chip . . . and sugar cookies . . . yep, pretty much any cookie is a friend of mine!

Connie said...

two years ago I made some great cookies for my Holiday Tea Party! But I deleted my food blog when I had my wisdom teeth pulled (too much narcotics) and now I don't remember what I made. :(

Impulsive Addict said...

Anything with a CHOCOLATE GLAZE has to be good, right? Even brussel sprouts.

I've never heard of gooseberry so I'll be waiting for the giveaway. I have a couple of extra gifts left over that are just hangin' out in my Christmas closet waiting to go to someone. I should do a giveaway. I've never done one before. I'm skeered.

Just Wedeminute said...

Yummm, they sound really good! I love Gooseberry Patch and even have a pie tin from them!

shortmama said...

Surprisingly Im not a cookie person! They just dont call to me the way other sweets do lol

Unknown said...

LOVE that shortbread recipe I will have to try that this year

ThatsBaloney said...

Doc's assistant makes us shortbread every year. I run home and make coffee right away! Yum, yum.

AndreaLeigh said...

i love the gooseberry patch books! i love to pour over them while i'm at the cracker barrel.

Unknown said...

Those sound wonderful thanks for sharing!!!!

Carrie

Mom Mayhem says: said...

Lol -Love the throw back to Clueless!(♥ that movie) And that's kinda how I make cookies too ;) The Almond butter cookies sound yummy though!

Julia said...

Mmmm…both of your cookie recipes sound absolutely amazing! I think I may try the almond butter cookies. They seem really easy to make. I have a six month old, so I need easy! I am always looking for cookie recipes that are easy to make and yummy. I work with Better Recipes. If you are in search of the same, check out their Christmas Cookie Recipes.

Anonymous said...

Your cookie recipes sound good! I love just plain ole sugar cookies!